Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's late....

So, it's late...I'm up because I have to work tomorrow night and I need to get back on my schedule for my "week." My little sweet babehs are sleeping in their dog beds, and the hubby is asleep too...All alone..So, I'm planning to write about something that I'm fairly passionate about...

I live in Nevada. Nevada is some urban, mostly rural. I live in a big ass valley between the Sierra Nevada's and the Virginia Range. Nevada is the most mountainous state in the union and we have plenty right where I live here in Reno....My development is fairly new and I have quite a bit of desert surrounding me to the East where the Virginia Range stands...

When I first moved to the south part of Reno, Double Diamond, from Stead (the North Valleys, aka G-H-E-T-T-O) my dog Lucky and I would go on these walks out in the desert and explore. I love to explore..One day as I was walking along, I turned a corner and these were staring back at me...



These are the wild Mustangs of the Wild West..Right here literally in my backyard. I am very lucky to be able to see these magnificent creatures..



One of the things that I VEHEMENTLY oppose is the capture of these beautiful animals. The BLM rounds these horses up, takes them to facilities where they are penned, separated and then put up for adoption. The ones that are not adopted out are sold at auction to brokers who then sell these animals to slaughter houses. They separate mothers from foals, who may only be months old. This is torture for these animals. They round them up with helicopters and force these animals to run long distances before being caught in temporary pens.

In The Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971, it states that the job of the BLM is "To require the protection, management, and control of wild free- roaming horses and burros on public lands." There are no proven numbers of these horses. The BLM will not release it's count of the horses, but estimates put the numbers at 25,000. The BLM states that they round these animals up to keep the rangeland healthy..The head of cattle outnumber horses 200 to 1.

Please visit Wild Mustang Coalition, FAQ to read more about this issue and write your congressman because as a constituent you cannot let this continue!

We are the caretakers of this Earth..It's the only one we have and we cannot let these beautiful creatures become extinct because man has an agenda.

Wild Mustang Coalition

No comments:

Post a Comment